Monday, March 9, 2015

Hugo Nominations

In light of the fact that Hugo nominations are due by midnight tomorrow (Tuesday 10, 2015 through 11:59 pm PDT), I don't want to wait until the end of March for my next post about short fiction. I've been spending a lot of time reading in the last week or two, and have tried to focus somewhat on 2014 publications so I could make intelligent decisions.

The following are the works I'm currently considering for nomination. I won't make final decisions until tomorrow -- and I won't be surprised if I have some last minute additions as I comb through my lists, other people's lists, my notes....

I'm also still working on other categories, but this is what I have for now.


Short stories (alphabetical by author):

"When It Ends, He Catches Her" by Eugie Foster
(read here)

"Alan Bean Plus Four" by Tom Hanks
(read here)

"Observations About Eggs from the Man Sitting Next to Me on a Flight from Chicago, Illinois to Cedar Rapids, Iowa" by Carmen Maria Machado
(read here)

"Jackalope Wives" by Ursula Vernon
(read here)

"Toad Words" by Ursula Vernon
(read here)

"Five Stages of Grief After the Alien Invasion" by Caroline M. Yoachim
(read here)


Novelette (alphabetical by author):

"The Magician and Laplace's Demon" by Tom Crosshill
(read here)

"Stealing Arturo" by William Ledbetter
(read here)


Novel (alphabetical by author):

The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman

(Alternatively, I may nominate the entire Magicians trilogy as a whole. I know it's eligible to be nominated that way, but I'm checking on the ramifications of it possibly being nominated both ways. I don't want it to cancel itself out.)


Dramatic Presentation - Long Form:

Edge of Tomorrow, directed by Doug Limon


Best Related Work:

Jodorowsky's Dune, directed by Frank Pavich


So much spec fic, so little time....

No comments: