Friday, April 14, 2017

New Story Podcast - Places We Call Home

I'm happy to announce that my novelette titled "Places We Call Home" is now available in the April 2017 issue of Perihelion. It can be read as free online text, but even better, it's available in podcast form (also free), narrated by the talented Lauren Harris and produced by Bryan Lincoln.

In this story, Bronwyn realizes that her younger sister Faren is suffering from neeranji, an alien form of homesickness. With time of the essence, Bronwyn must ask herself what she is willing to sacrifice to make things right.

I started this story in the year 2000 while attending Clarion West, but it just wasn't working. In the years since, I returned to this story over and over, trying to capture a specific emotion that eluded me. Aside from the first paragraph, which remained unchanged during fifteen years of revision, I finally got the rest of the story just the way I wanted it. Now I consider this my most fully realized story to date.

Read -- or, better yet, listen to -- the story here.

* * *

Several of my other stories are available as podcasts as well (click on "Read more" for links):

(* this episode consists of several bear-themed flash stories)

No comments: